Donate Stock or Mutual Funds
Donating appreciated securities – such as stock or mutual funds – to National Diaper Bank Network is a tax-wise approach to providing for children in need. Many donors choose to give gifts to National Diaper Bank Network using long-term appreciated stocks and mutual funds due to the attractive tax advantages associated with such gifts.
The benefits available to you when making a charitable contribution of stock or mutual funds may include:
- Avoiding federal and state tax on the capital gain;
- Receiving an income tax deduction (federal and most states) for the full market value of the gift if you itemize deductions on your tax return and have held the assets one year or longer;
- Making a larger gift at a lower original cost to you.
To make a gift of appreciated stock:
Broker Name: Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
Contact: Jessica Bruno – 212-605-0665
DTC number: 0164, code 40
Official Account Name: The National Diaper Bank Network
The Diaper Bank’s Account Number: 7202-2904
Important facts to remember:
- You must itemize your tax return in order to deduct a charitable donation.
- You must have owned the securities for at least one year before donating them or you will be limited to a deduction of your original purchase cost of the securities.
- You may take a deduction valued up to 30 percent of your adjusted gross income. If the deduction is greater than 30 percent, you may carry any unused deduction forward for up to five years into the future until it has been fully used.
- We encourage you to consult your financial planner or tax advisor who can assist you in evaluating the tax advantages available to you when making a donation of appreciated securities.
National Diaper Bank Network prefers to receive undesignated gifts, allowing for the greatest flexibility in responding to the organization’s evolving needs and priorities, but will also accept gifts designated to a specific purpose. Please contact us if you choose to designate your gift as changes in political situations or program capabilities may affect our ability to honor you request.
Contact information: If you have questions about making a gift of appreciated securities to National Diaper Bank Network, please contact Tamara Killian at 203-821-7348, (ext. 9)
*The information in this material is not intended as tax or legal advice. It may not be used for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties or liabilities. Please consult legal or tax professionals for specific information regarding your individual situation.